Orange County Christian School opened its doors in September 1975 at the Norwalk Church of Christ building. The school was known as Pioneer Christian School. The goal of the parents and members of the Church of Christ was to have a Christ-centered education for their children. In the beginning the school had grades Kindergarten through third, 30 students, two teachers and one part-time principal. OCCS has, in their two decades of education, grown to preschool through senior high. The school purchased its present campus in Orange County in 1991.
Through the years, Christ-centered education has been the focus,
and God has surely blessed this school and caused its growth!
Schoolwide Learner Outcomes
The goal of OCCS is train and equip students to be:
- Become competent in the Bible and fundamental Christian beliefs
- Focus thoughts and decisions on Biblical foundations and what is pleasing to God in their lives
- Have a Christian worldview and be able to defend that view
- Be confident spiritual leaders
- Learn to analyze information carefully
- Learn to think critically and use problem solving strategies to find solutions
- Increase memorization skills
- Strive for academic excellence and to develop the different gifts God has given
- Focus on lifelong learning and a desire to always improve and challenge oneself
- Effectively communicate the knowledge learned in school to life applications
- Understand various aspects of a healthy life-spiritually, physically, mentally, socially, and emotionally
- Promote a desire to improve and challenge oneself physically
- Interact and cooperate with others in a group setting
- Desire to be involved in and to give back to the community
- Able to share God’s Word with others
- Christ-centered instruction and curriculum
- Qualified, dedicated Christian staff
- College prepatory academics
- Yearly achievement testing
- Dress code standard for Kindergarten through Twelfth grade
- Member of the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)
OCCS is neither owned nor operated by a church and is non-denominational in the purest sense of the word.
Statement of Philosophy
- We believe that there is one God and that He is the source of all love, knowledge, and truth.
- We believe that Jesus is the Christ, the only begotten Son of God.
- We believe that the Bible is the inspired, inerrant word of God, and that it is the source of knowledge by which we can find God’s purpose, meaning and direction for our lives.
- We believe that all men sin and fall short of the glory of God.
- We believe in a Heaven and a Hell.
- We believe that sin condemns men spiritually and that the only hope for man is through Jesus the Christ who stated that we “must be born again.”
- We believe that we are saved by the grace of God, through faith, that faith is more than conscious assent and is expressed through obedient acceptance of God’s word.
- We believe it is every Christian’s responsibility to serve God to the fullest extent of their “talents’ and to tell others that Jesus was born, crucified, rose on the third day and that through His resurrection we might also have eternal life.
Orange County Christian School (Middle School grades 6-8 and High School grades 9-12) is accredited by Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).